Everyone in our family LOVES this cake. Grandma Sheryl makes this apple slice which is almost a cross between a cake and slice regularly. Perfect hot or cold for every occasion. My husband used to call her several times a year for this recipe and we used to find it on scrap pieces everywhere and now it is permanent in Fareloom. This is now a take on that slice with the addition of a crumble topping which was born out of doubling the recipe and needing more topping!
Last Sunday I had 15-20 small Granny Smith apples that no one was eating and family coming for dinner. We got out the scrappy piece of paper that my husband last wrote down the recipe from his mum on the phone and I quickly went about and made it with the kids peeling the apples. It quickly became apparent that I was distracted and not concentrating while I was doubling the recipe when there was enough mixture for the base but not the top hence the addition of the crumble topping. Here is a recipe that is all yours by searching in Fareloom. Just search for Apple Crumble Slice and add to your recipes by clicking the top right hand corner (three dots) and click 'add to my recipes' and it's all yours. It's delicious and it's my take on my mother in laws recipe.
Apple Crumble Slice Recipe
125 gram Butter
125 gram Sugar
1 tsp Vanilla
1 cup Plain Flour
1 tsp Baking powder
400 gram Pie Apple ( I used stewed apples)
2 tablespoon flour (extra)
2 tablespoon Butter (extra)
2 tablespoon Oats (extra)
2 tablespoon Coconut (extra)
2 tablespoon Brown Sugar (extra)
- Cream butter and sugar. Add vanilla and egg.
- Add sifted flour and baking powder.
- Divide mixture in half and press half mixture into greased square cake tin.
- Add pie apples then flatten portions of remaining mixture and place on top.
- For the optional crumble topping. Place flour into a small bowl and rub butter into the flour until it resembles fine breadcrumbs then add remaining ingredients. Sprinkle on top of slice and bake.
- Bake at 180C for 40 minutes. Serve warm or cold.